Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Getting Back into the Swing of It All

Howdy all!
Just wanted to touch base after all the holiday fuss...its been great hanging out with all my family during the past few weeks. It was difficult to get back into the swing of getting up and out the door early in the morning.
It has been fun to reacquaint myself with my kiddos in class. How did you refresh your connections with your students? I used 3 statements to prompt them:  Explain to me something you did on the break. Tell me something you got for Christmas that your really excited about, and describe one goal you have for 2014. This turned out to be a great way to get reacquainted and allowed students to share about their break and themselves.

We are hitting the ground running now that STAAR season is almost upon us. I have a great team of ladies that are so hard working, innovative, willing to try new things and enthusiastic! I am blessed to call them my teammates and friends. We have decided to try a new format - stations for all subjects! It is quite an endeavor! It has allowed us to begin to focus on students' needs, have structure, and differentiated groups. It has been such fun to see students excited about learning! It is basically a workshop type model. Is anyone else doing something like this other than Reading/Writing workshop?
Anyone doing it for Math, Science and Social Studies? I'd love to hear how it is going for you and what types of things your implementing to help students be successful.
Thanks for your input!


No comments: